Here are a few of the things I believed that qualified me to be a follower of Christ:
- Not drinking alcohol.
- Not using curse words.
- Not being friends with people who cussed, drank, smoked, or did drugs.
- Being inside the church building as much as possible when the doors were open.
- Inviting my friends to church services.
- Name dropping Jesus as many times as humanly possible.
- Being able to quote the "ABCs of Salvation."
- Attempting to scare people into heaven.
- Praying for my meals in public, and intentionally making it obvious what I was doing.
- Going on a missions trip every few years.
- Listening to only "Christian music".
- Trying to straighten my friends up when they already knew they messed up.
- Volunteering for programs at church, whether I was passionate about them or not.
- Voting only for Republicans.
Here's how Jesus sums up what it means to be follower of Christ:
And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." ~Matthew 22:37-40